The Federation-Klingon War of 2256:
- Never heard of it before Star Trek: First Contact changed everything.
- Could be considered a minor conflict in retrospect, like the 2372–73 war from DS9.
- Total Federation casualties after six months of fighting in 2256 are a few thousand shy of the losses suffered in 2367 at Wolf 359.
- Klingons, at least those in the House of T’Kuvma, are cannibals. Klingons are also now bald.
- Entirely new Klingon bird-of-prey design that is armed with both torpedoes and phasers rather than disruptors.
- Cloaking devices exist, but are extremely limited.
- The House of Kor has made an appearance but no sign of either the House of Mogh or Duras, yet.
- The Klingons are apparently winning the war against the Federation despite the lack of cloaking devices, no centralized government or command-in-control, and their habit for ground and melee combat.
- Force-field technology is widespread. Replicator technology is also available. J.J. Abrams-style bridge.
- Hand phasers seem to operate like the J.J. Abrams movie phasers.
- The Shenzhou was a member of the Walker-class, an older exploration cruiser.
- Starfleet crews abandoned their ships after the Battle at the Binary Stars, rather than self-destructing them.
- The Europa is a newer, quad-warp nacelle design, undoubtedly related to the Miranda-class.
- The Discovery and Glenn are members of the brand new Crossfield-class of experimental science vessels designed to develop the quantum spore-based FTL drive.
- Given the simulated combat drill in 1×04, the Crossfield-class Discovery seems to have weaker shields than the Walker-class Shenzhou as the latter was able to withstand more photon hits.
- Once again, Starfleet crews are torturing animals for the sake of FTL travel.
- Still no sign of the Constitution-class.